7.30.2009

Next. Next.

"Coming up next" is the ending phrase of almost every commercial break on TV. The producers create an appealing can't miss preview of the next show. And after this I find myself often bored with the current show and just waiting for the next rather than enjoy the mindless experience. I'm beginning to see how easy it is to live life in that phrase as well.

When I was a child I wanted to be in high school because it had to be just as cool as I saw on Saved by the Bell. When I was in High School I longed for the college years which I cut short into three to be able to live the glamorous life of a poor young professional.

And now I sit here and am perfectly content, but wonder what it would be like to be in the next phase. My friends have to often remind me that I am only 21. So young. Although I think the independent culture of DC is further provoking my own independence; the other night a man proposed at Screen on the Green, (a movie shown in front of the Capitol on the Mall,) I spoke too loudly in a careless moment, "Say no, you have your whole life ahead of you!"
I didn't really mean to say it, it kind of came out without my thinking. But it leads me to wonder, am I really becoming disenchanted with the idea of relationships?

No comments:

Post a Comment